How to seek support
Self-Directed Support and Personal Budgets
What is self-directed support?
Self-directed support is for anyone 18 years and older who gets support or services that are paid for by Adult Social Care in Leeds to live more independently. It means that you;
- Are in control of the money you get for your support. This is called a personal budget
- Can choose how to spend the money for your support
- Can get help to manage the money for your support
- Can choose who you would like to support you or what services you would like to use, for example individual outreach support or groups provided by People Matters.
If you don’t get support or services that are paid for by Adult Social Care you can ask for an assessment to see if you are eligible. This is where can find the Adult Social Care information
The initial assessment covers carrying out personal care, preparing food and drink, getting around, managing home and money and relationships with family and friends .
If you would like to have a personal budget the best person to speak to is your social worker. If you don’t have a social worker you can ring Adult Social Care Customer Services who can help you to speak to the right person. Their number is 0113 222 4401
There are 5 steps to getting a personal budget in Leeds.
- Fill in a self- assessment questionnaire
- Find out your indicative social care budget
- Build your support plan
- Get your plan agreed
- Start using your personal budget
More information on getting a personal budget can be found here in our personal budgets help sheet